Saturday, August 21, 2010

What Do You Call... Fans for Dancing?

A beautiful art form and often seen at geisha performances, fans used in dance are called "mai ougi" 舞扇 (my oh gee), "dance-(folding) fan". If you're curious, the "mai" is the same one used in "maiko". :)

Mai-ougi are bigger and more lavishly decorated than the average fan, but can be found on places like Ebay relatively cheap.

One of the most famous yearly geiko (Kyoto geisha) dance events, the Gion Odori. Photo copyright Onihide and used with permission.

No comments: