Saturday, March 13, 2010

Of Kimono and Owls

Today, while at the Sherwood Forest Renaissance Faire here in Texas, I ran into a lovely (and patient!) mother and daughter pair and rambled at them for awhile about kimono, my excitement coming from the cute komon kimono the daughter was wearing. If y'all ever see this, thank you again for your patience with me: I must have seemed very odd!

After a long, fun day at the festival, we've just now gotten home. It turns out my kurotomesode arrived today, the one I'm going to chop and make longer for the starter geisha outfit I'm planning, but at this point all I want to do is shower and sleep. I think I'll save opening the package for the morning, but I'm excited to see how it looks!

In the meantime, have a photo I took of an owl at the festival's falconry show. The Japanese word for owl is "fukuro 梟", with the characters literally a bird in a tree. While over there, I heard that owl talismans kept in the home are said to ward off bad luck, with the bigger the eyes the more protection given. If that's the case, I think this owl's got me covered!

No comments: